Demonstrated ability to conceive, design, manage, and implement complex software development projects.
Demonstrated ability to lead a team for software solutions development purposes.
Experience in mentoring less experienced colleagues.
Demonstrated ability to provide high quality software development.
Preferably, the successful candidate will hold an MS, or equivalent degree in a field computer science and have a strong interest in scientific software development. Candidates with a background related to land use, economic modeling, or related fields, if experienced software practitioners, are also welcome to apply.
Applicants should have hands-on experience with developing software and have good experience with one or more of the scientific computing ecosystems surrounding the Python, R, or Julia languages. Familiarity with GAMS, C/C++, or Java is a plus.
Experience with version control systems (Subversion/Git) is a must, and familiarity with the GitHub or GitLab platforms is desirable. Knowledge of test automation, CI/CD, containerization, and other dev-ops practices is an advantage, as is an affinity with web development and standards.
Applicants should have the willingness and ability to work in an international multi-disciplinary team and be flexible and adaptable in responding to deadlines. Good written and verbal communication skills in English are essential.
The successful candidate should be available to take up the position as soon as possible (start date negotiable). We offer an initial fixed-term, full-time employment contract for one year, with the possibility for extension thereafter. Eligible applicants wishing to work part-time hours may be considered.
Duties will be carried out at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, near Vienna in Austria (up to 100 days per year home office working within Austria possible).
The corresponding profile for this opportunity is S3 according to the IIASA Research Software Professionals Profiles. IIASA does however reserve the right to hire a research software professional with a lower profile, and at a corresponding lower salary than the minimum stated below, if the qualifications and professional experience of the selected candidate do not meet the criteria described in the profile adequately.
A full-time (40 hours per week), gross annual salary of minimum
EUR 71,559.00 for S3 Research Software Engineers
The advertised salary is:
- Exempt from income tax in Austria.
- Negotiable, based on the qualifications, skills and experience of the selected individual.
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security.
- Not directly comparable with other employers in Austria, due to the unique legal status and privileges granted to IIASA.
- Subject to the principle of income aggregation (Progressionsvorbehalt in German).
- Educational subsidies for children of school age enrolled in private schools in Austria.
- A generous annual leave allowance.
- Moving and settlement allowances and paid home leave for employees in scientific and professional categories hired from international locations.
- Assistance for newcomers to Austria with visa, work and residency permit applications.
- Support finding accommodation in Austria.
Further details here.