QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Doctoral degree in environmental science, ecology, or conservation with a specific focus on, or experience with quantitative data analyses.
Prior knowledge of Climate adaptation, Nature-based solutions, biodiversity impact assessments or ecosystem accounting. Scientific interest in integrating biodiversity and conservation issues in cross-sectoral problems.
Experience using advanced quantitative analyses, particularly in the context of ecological modeling and conservation planning. Proven prior knowledge of machine learning (for example Gradient boosting or CNNs) and/or spatial optimization techniques (linear and mixed integer programming).
Existing skills in scientific programming for example with R, Python or Julia. Familiarity with version control techniques using git and collaborative coding. R-package development experience desirable.
Excellent organizational skills, pro-active and results-oriented, and the capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines.
Ability to work independently, and at times with minimal supervision.
Full fluency in English (both written and oral) and excellent communication skills.
- IIASA offers an interdisciplinary and international workplace, and the possibility to interact with researchers of different nationalities, with strong ties to a world-wide network of research institutions engaged in environmental systems research. The successful candidate must be able to work in, and have respect for, an intercultural environment, and IIASA core values.
The selected candidate should be available to take up the position as soon as possible. We offer a full-time (40 hours per week) employment contract for one year initially, with the possibility to extend thereafter (by mutual agreement). Eligible applicants wishing to work part-time hours may be considered.
Duties will be carried out at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, near Vienna in Austria.
The successful candidate will be appointed in accordance with the IIASA profiles for research careers.
- An international atmosphere and pleasant working environment in a historic market town surrounded by green areas.
- The possibility to contribute to environmental sciences for sustainability and global wellbeing.
- The opportunity to deepen and improve knowledge and scientific profile.
- Career development perspectives.
- An attractive salary which is exempt from income tax in Austria and negotiable, based on the qualifications, skills and experience of the selected individual and at least:
EUR 48,050.00 per annum (full-time equivalent) for R2 Researchers.
In addition, IIASA salaries are:
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security.
- Not directly comparable with other employers in Austria, due to the unique legal status and privileges granted to IIASA.
- Subject to the principle of income aggregation (Progressionsvorbehalt in German).
- Educational subsidies for children of school age enrolled in private schools in Austria.
- A generous annual leave entitlement.
- Relocation allowances and paid home leave for employees in scientific and professional categories hired from international locations.
- The possibility to work up to 100 days per year in home office (within Austria)
- Assistance for newcomers to Austria with visa, work and residency permit applications.
- Support finding accommodation in Austria.
Further details here.