qualifications and experience
qualifications and experience
- Min. master's degree (or equivalent) in a discipline with expertise in numerical simulation modeling and statistical or machine learning analysis.
- Fluency in C++, including advanced concepts like templates and polymorphism. Fluency in at least one additional scientific programming language (R, Python) is desirable. Previous experience in developing scientific software for ecological research (e.g., Python libraries, R Packages) highly desirable.
- Experience in parallel computing (particularly GPU computing with CUDA), collaborative coding and version control (e.g., Git) advantageous.
- Advanced geo-spatial analyses in R. Knowledge of Google Earth engine advantageous.
- Good understanding of current applied ecology and conservation research are desirable (not essential).
- Excellent organizational skills, pro-active and results-oriented and the capacity to deliver on allocated tasks and respond in a timely manner to deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as within an international and multidisciplinary team distributed across different institutions and time-zones.
- A track record of publishing high-quality scientific research.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) in English.
- IIASA offers an interdisciplinary and international workplace, and the possibility to interact with researchers of different nationalities, with strong ties to a world-wide network of research institutions engaged in environmental systems research. The successful candidate must be able to work in, and have respect for, an intercultural environment, and IIASA core values.
We offer an initial fixed-term, full-time (40 hours per week) employment contract for one year, with the possibility of extension thereafter. Eligible applicants wishing to work part-time hours will also be considered. The start date is negotiable.
Duties will be carried out at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, near Vienna in Austria (up to 100 days per year home office working within Austria possible).
The successful candidate will be hired as a Researcher (R1) or Research Scholar (R2) in accordance with their corresponding profile in the IIASA profiles for research careers.
A gross annual, full-time salary of:
Minimum EUR 33,924.00 for R1 researchers
Minimum EUR 44,204.00 for R2 research scholars.
IIASA salaries are:
- Exempt from income tax in Austria.
- Negotiable, based on the qualifications, skills and experience of the selected individual.
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security.
- Not directly comparable with other employers in Austria, due to the unique legal status and privileges granted to IIASA.
- Subject to the principle of income aggregation (Progressionsvorbehalt in German).
- Educational subsidies for children of school age enrolled in private schools in Austria.
- A generous annual leave allowance.
- Moving and settlement allowances and paid home leave for employees in scientific and professional categories hired from international locations.
- Assistance for newcomers to Austria with visa, work and residency permit applications.
- Support finding accommodation in Austria.
Further details here.